日本のことばと文化 初級1 A2 MARUGOTO Plus

How to add readings to the kanji

POST! -MY CASE- Lab Ver.

Theme: Cool and Comfortable! Introducing ways to spend a Japanese summer

Make your eyes and taste buds cool…

Gomachan

In a hot summer, in a humid summer, I lose my appetite. For that time, I have some ideas to become able to eat even just a little.

Chilled Chinese Noodles and glass dishes
Chilled Chinese Noodles and glass dishes

When it becomes summer, I usually make and see "chilled" foods. For example, at stores, they say "Chilled Chinese noodles have started!" or "We have chilled noodles!".

At home, when I make chilled Chinese noodles or thin noodles, I think it is very important to use glass dishes. When you see a clear glass, it has an image of water or ice, so you feel cool. Once you get cool using your eyes, you can eat the chilled food and your sweat will stop. While you're feeling that, you can taste it too.

Imootochan

I think that's right! I also put salad in glass dishes.iine_small_iconGomachan

Noerin

I agree! When chilled noodles come out on a normal plate, I'm disappointed.

Gucchan

Wow! No glass plates at mine…

Kinako-covered Water Jelly
Kinako-covered Water Jelly

Usually, when it becomes summer, in Japan, I think there are a lot of people who buy and eat ice cream or "kakigoori" (shaved ice). But, I don’t really eat sweet things. Instead, when it becomes summer, I often make water jelly. Water jelly is water mixed with gelatin, then lightly topped with kinako (roasted soybean flour) and sugar.

If you ask why, when I look at the jelly, I can imagine cold ice and I feel cool. It’s easy to make, and since it doesn’t need heating, it’s not hot when you’re making it. Of course, it’s for eating, so it feels cool and soft inside your mouth! …

Your eyes and mouth can enjoy the “coolness”! I made some yesterday and brought it to my friend’s house!

Almond

Looks delicious!

Noerin

This was great!

Gucchan

I had some too. I was surprised by the water. The healthy thing is great!

Hiyayakko! -Kawari Hiyayakko-
Hiyayakko! -Kawari Hiyayakko-

During summer, I don’t like cooking that requires heating up. When you’re cooking, it gets hot, and so you don’t want to eat anymore.

So, I often eat cold tofu, called “hiyayakko.” Usually, you eat it with ginger and soy sauce, myooga ginger, or shiso and soy sauce, but I get tired of that, so I use Chinese seasoning and make “Kawari Hiyayakko” (Arranged Hiayakko). It’s made with oyster sauce, “zaasai” (Chinese pickles) and sesame oil.

Master

I have one tofu a day.iine_small_iconGucchan

Almond

I had some last week.

Noerin

I too eat tofu often when it becomes summer.iine_small_iconImootochan

Dansan

It's delicious when you put some kimchi on it!

Summer vegetables are cool?! Memories
Summer vegetables are cool?! Memories

When it becomes summer, I eat often eat summer vegetables, like cucumbers and tomatoes. When I see these vegetables, I am reminded of my childhood.

Long ago, my house had a well. In summer, the well water was very cold. When I got home from school, my mother was cooling off tomatoes and cucumbers for me. They were my snacks... When I eat chilled tomatoes or cucumbers, I become cool, and I stop sweating. Even now, when I see those vegetables, I remember the "cool summer" from that time.

Noerin

I'm reminded of my grandmother's well.

Master

Vegetables for a snack…

Madeleine

A well.. There were none near me…

Gomachan

Now, at my parent's house, there's no well there either. Everyone filled them up… they're nostalgic for me now…

Page Top