日本のことばと文化 初級1 A2 MARUGOTO Plus

How to add readings to the kanji

POST! -MY CASE- Lab Ver.

Theme: I've given this kind of present

While thinking about the recipient's face,
I choose the present or wrapping

Madeleine

In Japan, it is easy and cheap to buy various kinds of wrapping goods. But, I'm not very good at wrapping, so when I buy something at a store, I often use the store's wrapping service. They can do it for free or for a very cheap price. But, sometimes, I like to challenge wrapping myself!

I have a present wrapped by a pro
I have a present wrapped by a pro

When my friends have children, I often give them something made out of organic cotton. I think a baby should wear something kind to its skin. I usually give things that can be used, even if the baby gets a little big, like a poncho or sleeping bag. My friends are happy and say "I wanted something like this!".

Most of the time, I shop at the department store, so I have the professional at the store wrap it for me. But, I can choose the design of the wrapping paper, and the color of the ribbon. If the baby is a boy, I choose a blue color, if it's a girl, I choose a pink and I also think about my friend's tastes as well when I choose.

Gomachan

What's a sleeping bag?

Almond

Is it like a coat?

Madeleine

It's like a big vest that is worn over the body. When the baby is sleeping, if they turn around in their sleep, it's ok to get out of!

Master

Oh!! So blue is for boys…! When I was small, I liked red.

Doing something myself when I make something
Doing something myself when I make something

I like to make sweets, so I make them for various occasions. For example, if there's a party, I'm visiting a friend's house, or I want to give a small thank-you gift.

When I buy something at a store, they can wrap it up for me, but when I make something myself, the store staff can't do that. In my house, I have many items of different sizes in my home, like cute cups and small plastic bags. I can buy wrapping goods at the supermarket near my house, so it's very useful.

With a cute wrapping, the sweets look even more delicious. So my friends will be surprised and ask "Did you buy that at a store?"

Noerin

Madeline, you should open a store!

Gomachan

Wow, it something that people think you bought at a store! The looks of a wrapping are important!

When giving money, I put it in a small envelope
When giving money, I put it in a small envelope

It's not about a present, but about wrapping money. When I'm at a goods store, if I see a small pouch, I buy it. When giving back money I borrowed back to a friend, I use them. I feel that it's more polite to give the money back in an envelope than to just give it as is. I choose a design that my friend would like.

If I think about it, long ago, when giving pictures, I also used these small envelopes. But, recently, since we take pictures with digital cameras now and them via email more and more, picture envelopes aren't used.

Imootochan

Speaking of, when you give back money and don’t have an envelope, you say "Sorry that it's naked", so I thought it was natural that it's like putting clothes on the money.

Gucchan

I see. That's true.

Souvenir wrapping for the family is simple
Souvenir wrapping for the family is simple

When I went to Kyoto to visit, I found a beautiful "fukin" (cloth). I thought my mother would like it, so I bought it. When you buy something at a department store or a regular store, the staff will ask you "Is this a present?" If you answer "Yes.", the staff will wrap it up for you in a beautiful paper and attach a ribbon.

But, because this was for my mother, I said "It's for me". It's because I think for the environment, we should try to reduce waste. So, the staff put it in a clear plastic bag for me. The "fukin"'s design was very beautiful, so this was probably better. My mother was very happy, but she still hasn't used it... Because it's beautiful, she wants to start using it on a special day.

Master

The wrapping for things for yourself are simple, eh?

Noerin

I would hate to use them!

Dansan

Yup! Kyoto has a lot of nice things!

Page Top